Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Perennial Loser Or Vermont's Great Hope?

crossposted @ www.greenmountaindaily.com

So I talk a lot of crap about Pollina running for governor against Douglas. This will be my last swipe until November when I post a big I told you so. Yep, 6 months of no Pollina bashing from me. Why? I actually like the guy, I'd even go so far as to describe myself a fan. I love everything that Pollina stands for, his heart is in the right place. He's the Bernie Sanders of Middlesex. However, because I like the guy, it makes me one of his biggest and most vocal critics.

I voted for Pollina to help make a point in 2000, and again in 2002. Where did it get me? I feel like my vote was wasted. I'd even go so far as to say counterproductive in 2002. I feel like I was burned by Pollina, for giving me false hope. Hope that he would get elected. Hope that all the great things he talked about would really make a difference when he got into office. Hope that he would help make Vermont a better place.

Perceptions are everything in politics. Pollina is a great speaker, but he needs to up the energy and charisma. He has a great, and good natured personality, but he needs to share it more with people. Show his vulnerable side, his hobbies, what he does for fun. He needs to relate more to your average working Vermonter. He needs to relay the message that he is the best choice because he will affect positively Vermonter's lives when they vote for him.

Going beyond that though, he needs to run an effective campaign. Progressives are good at running Chittenden County campaigns, but haven't really grasped the concept of a Vermont campaign. The Republicans and Democrats are much better equiped, and entrenched. The heart of a Vermont campaign lies within the county caucuses and town committees. In the small towns of Vermont everyone knows who's voting which way and why. That's where campaigns are really won and lost.

You can run all the TV ads and radio spots you want. But until neighbors begin talking to neighbors about Pollina and how good he'd be for Vermont, its all for nothing. Until people see their fellow townsfolk going door to door, knocking. Unless they're convinced that Pollina is a safe person to entrust their hopes and dreams to, he's a risk, a liability. He is as yet untested in statewide office.

Pollina is not just the underdog, he has three strikes already against him in the eyes of Vermonters. He lost the bid for congress as a Democrat to Jim Jeffords in 1984. In 2000 he was the candidate that was neither for or against civil unions, a safe place to be. In 2002 his last bid for statewide office, he was the spoiler candidate that gave us Dubie as Lt. Governor. That's a tough history to overcome, three times a loser doesn't inspire confidence the fourth time around.

So when I criticize Anthony Pollina, it's not because I don't think he'd be good for Vermont. It's not because I don't like him or his politics. It's because I'm afraid to build up hope again. I'm afraid that he won't run a Vermont campaign, and bring his message to the "you can't get there from here" villages and hamlets scattered throughout the Green Mountains.

No comments: