Monday, March 23, 2009

Holy Smoker!!

So on a recent trip to that mecca of low budget consumer spending K-mart, I bought something that thoroughly excites me to use, and totally worth the $5 I paid for it. I love to grill and finally bought myself a smoker box. It’s awesome, just a small metal box with holes that sits on the grill while you’re cooking. It works phenomenally!

So I started using a box of mesquite chips that I bought in the store, and it imparts a wonderful smoky flavor into the meat. You just soak the wood chips in water for about a half hour before putting in the box on the grill, and voila; smoke. The best part though, is I can make my own chips to use in the smoker. My father cut down an apple tree in his yard, so I can take a couple of the smaller pieces and use my hatchet to make chips. Way cheaper than buying them for $5 a bag!

Even better though, I can also make my own hickory and alder chips, and experiment with other types of wood to see what I like best. I know where there’s a Butternut that just dropped a branch, and suspect that might have a good flavor to it as well. Not bad, a $5 investment, that I can refill for free……pretty happy about it.

No comments: